Wednesday 26 August 2015

Visual Arts vs Literary Ones

Yesterday I saw a really interesting poem with an equally interesting image and it nudged me to wonder if I should post images that have inspired my own poems and short stories.

This seems to me a relatively simple task as well as ticking my boxes as far as being a visual learner and one who doesn't enjoy seeing a page without at least some visual interest to break the text.

However, some of my images and creative writing are captured in photo form and that really does raise a few issues. What if the image is a person and I don't actually have that persons permission to use their image? Ah yes, even worse if the associated text is less than flattering. Ooops!

It seems to me that an answer to this issue is to make an artistic image based on the photographic one which then begs the question 'are you capable of creating such an artistic offering?'

Yesterdays poetic output was based on an image I had taken months ago of an elderly lady who regularly walks along my road, generally into oncoming cars, pushing a trolley and at great risk to herself and everyone around her. I imagined her - as she invariably wears green - as a female 'green man' and explore ideas about what the change in gender and contemporary lifestyles could mean.

The poem is still being tweaked but in the mean time I took the opportunity to play with some ways that I can use images without being a genius with oils or pastel. This is the result and I'm hoping to improve on it in future because I'm really enjoying using the visual arts alongside the literary ones.

I've also played around with the moth image that accompanies a few of my haiku in a previous posting. See you what you think about the style and why not give me some feedback about using imagery with poetry etc. It isn't a case of one or the other more a case of 'should I seek to illustrate with non-photographic images where possible?'

No comments:

Post a Comment